Relaxation massage also known as Swedish massage therapy is the style of massage that comes to mind when most people think about having a massage. As the best-known style of massage performed today,one of the primary goals of this massage technique is to relax the entire body.
This is accomplished by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes with moderate pressure and flowing rhythmic movements in the direction of blood returning to the heart. But this style of therapy goes beyond relaxation. Swedish massage is exceptionally beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving circulation and flexibility while easing tension.
Relaxation massage helps to reduce stress and fatigue, which promotes a great sense of wellbeing. Aromatherapy oils can also be used to enhance the effects of the massage and promote complete deep relaxation.
Anyone that is experiencing stress, anxiety or insomnia, will feel great pleasure by having a relaxation massage. It is a great way to unwind and relieve mental and physical tension.
Studies conducted by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, found that volunteers who received a 45-minute Swedish massage experienced significant decreases in levels of the stress hormone cortisol, as well as arginine vasopressin-a hormone that can lead to increases in cortisol. Volunteers also had increases in the number of lymphocytes, white blood cells that are part of the immune system, and a boost in the immune cells that may help fight colds and the flu.
Important tips for post massage treatment;
- Drink lot’s of water ! massage moves and releases toxins around the body, so water will help in the flushing out process.
- Try to rest as much as possible after the treatment, its not often you will feel this relaxed.
- Avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for about two days after treatment, your body is recovering and possibly realigning itself. Please let it do so.
- Stretch your body, this is a great time to increase flexibility.
- Work on your mind e.g. meditation. Post treatment is a great time to continue relaxing your mind, most of the hard work has been done through the physical body, its now a good time to continue the process.
Here’s what Ingrid had to say about AHF massage:
I was suffering shoulder and neck pain which triggered severe, frequent headaches and crippling migraines for years. After massages, reflexology treatments and energetic healing sessions, my shoulders and neck felt like “new”. I am now pain free and the headaches and migraines are a thing of the past. I continue to have weekly “maintenance-massages” due to the nature of my job and the physical work.
Ingird 38, Banksia Grove